On Tuesday night our home teacher noticed a natural gas smell in our yard. I had noticed it faintly and intermittently beforehand, but no one else smelled it so I thought I must be imagining things. Anyhow we called the gas company Wednesday morning and, sure enough, we had a leak in our yard line so they turned off our gas. We got the plumbers out here the next day to work on it and thankfully the damage in the yard wasn't as extensive as we thought. However, before they could turn the gas back on they had to do a pressure test. Long story short, they found several leaks in the valves around our house AND 8 leaks in the pipes in our attic. The plumber said that it looked like someone who didn't know what they were doing had tried to repair them previously. We have never even touched them or had anyone work on them so we are thinking that these leaks have been there the whole time we have lived here. We have been living here for 3 1/2 years and probably have been exposed to low levels of gas the whole time. Scary thought!
We had three days without our main heater, stove, and water heater, but I am so grateful that we uncovered a dangerous situation and fixed it before it got out of hand! I'm also so thankful for JB at Wilson Plumbing for working so hard to make sure that we could get our gas on before the weekend. He had the inspector out here as soon as he was done and stayed around to make sure that the gas company would hook us up tonight before he left. He didn't want us to have to go through the whole weekend without gas especially since it is supposed to be cold on Sunday. What a dedicated man!
Published with Blogger-droid v2.0
No comments:
Post a Comment