We had a great opportunity Saturday night to remember and get our kids excited about the real meaning of Christmas, namely to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. We went to Huntsville for their annual Journey through Bethlehem production. All the actors wear clothing from the time of Christ's birth and you get to go back in time and experience what it would have been like in those days.
I wish I could share pictures, but my camera was dead so we just have this picture of the kids with what they made there.
I won't do it justice, but I want to give you an idea of what it was like. When you first walk in past some Roman soldiers you are asked to sign the census and pay your taxes ($0.50/person). Then we were led by the wiseman and saw the star above the main building which we followed. They took us to Herod and did a little reenactment of that conversation. Then we were herded out by the soldiers and came to the shephards. An angel appeared and announced Christ's birth. Then we were led by the shephards into Bethlehem. They had a whole little mock city with markets, shops, synagogue, and a jail, and a stable in the back. We learned a Jewish wedding dance, tasted food at three different "shops", learned how to weave baskets, helped put mud in a mold for bricks, made little clay pots, made banner ornaments, learned about different spices, attended the synagogue, and played in the jail. In the midst of all this hustle and bustle we saw the nativity scene with an angel on top of the manger, "baby Jesus" in a manger with "Joseph" and "Mary" next to him. There was a goat and a donkey next to the manger as well. My first thought was that I was surprised there wasn't more pizzazz and flare since this manger scene is the whole reason we went there, but then I was struck by the humble beauty and reverance that it created. I am so greatful for my Savior and for the awesome experience it was to get a small idea of what Bethlehem would have been like at his birth.
A blog to recognize and record fun moments, cute sayings, and all things that make us smile!
Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Remembering Christ this Christmas!
Published with Blogger-droid v2.0
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment